Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lacinato Kale


Lacinato Kale has become king of my fridge.  Two years ago I couldn't stand it.  The nutritional content is through the roof and I was determined to like it, so  I just kept putting a few leaves in my smoothies, little by little increasing the amount.  Now I can hardly go a day without it.  

Kale is a cruciferous vegetable, known for its anti-cancer properties.   Lacinato Kale is the most nutrient dense of the kale varieties and is also known as black kale and dinosaur kale.  I do not believe you can supplement your diet with vitamins and get what you need (see THE CHINA STUDY for more on this) and use Lacinato Kale as the nutritional core of my family's diet.  As long as my son gets his daily smoothie, I feel confident he's getting what he needs and I'm more willing to let a birthday cupcake slide.  We single mothers have enough to worry about, this is an easy way to ensure your children are getting their veggies.  My son and all his friends LOVE green smoothies, so there's no cajoling.  

Here's what goes into a standard smoothie at our house:  Banana, filtered water, berries, flax oil, and a few leaves of kale.   High in calcium, protein, chlorophyl, and tons of vitamins and minerals, you get so much for so little with this stuff.  I was just reading an article about how this particular family of vegetables not only protects and benefits your health, but goes into your cells and tries to correct problems.  

The fact that you are ingesting Raw kale is also very helpful, since heating veggies causes nutrient depletion.  Chimps--who we are just a few tweaks away from--live almost completely on greens and don't suffer from the health issues we have.  It is my belief that greens are the Key to good health.  

No comments: