Monday, September 14, 2009

Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Raw Honey



While I do enjoy a vegan diet, I make an exception for organic honey, which, because it is animal derived, is considered not vegan. For a while I was using agave nectar in place of honey, but after much consideration and research, I'm okay with organic honey.

From what I have read and gleaned from bee keepers and eco-experts, I believe that consuming organic honey is pro-bee and pro-environment. In light of Colony Collapse Disorder, which I suspect is connected at least in part to GMOs and pesticide use, I think it is a good idea to support organic honey production.

As someone who eats a plant based diet, I am well aware that bees play a big part in the food I eat, and I feel grateful and protective. I believe a thriving organic bee population can help counteract the potentially devastating effects of the disappearing bee populations used in conventional bee keeping.

I find the taste of honey varies significantly and generally opt for a milder flavor. I suggest buying local organic raw honey at your Farmers' Market, but it's not always available. And sometimes, it's just not to your liking. Luckily, there are organic options on the market that can be shipped to your door.

Wholesome Sweeteners makes a very good Fair Trade Organic Raw Honey. On their website, they explain the ecologically and community-healthy way the honey is produced. None of their bees have been afflicted with CCD, incidentally, and the production of this honey provides stable income for Mayan communities that have been bee keeping for centuries. At the same time, this endeavor helps to protect the rain forest by providing consistent income for those resources.

I find this honey to have a mild but distinct flavor. The texture is divine, being thick and just a tiny bit sandy--if that makes sense. It dissolves slowly in your mouth and does not overwhelm beverages like tea. I also find it great for baking and raw food preparation. This would be an ideal honey to have on hand in the winter when cold season strikes. A little of this, some organic lemon and water will soothe a sore throat and cough, I think, better than any cough syrup. Highly recommended, and you can find it HERE.

No comments: