Thursday, December 24, 2009

France is Green Gifting




Prompted by ecological and economic concerns, about 30% of the French are giving used gifts for Christmas. Good for them! I like this on so many different levels.

I'm okay with re-gifting as in--someone gives you something you can't use and you pass it on to someone you know will love it. But there is another form of this that I really love. It's when you give someone something you already have, something good that you love that you want to give for the meaning. It could be something someone has admired that you're ready to pass on or something sentimental.

I have only received a few of these my entire life, but it has just as much and maybe more meaning than something that was purchased in a store. Something infused with that person's energy and life. A few years ago, my mom gave me a bracelet that she'd had for many many years. It was one of the best things she ever gave me.

If you're low on money or time, don't be afraid to take a look at your stuff and gift something right from your home and heart. Read more HERE about how the French are setting this new trend.

No comments: