Saturday, May 22, 2010

NuNaturals Stevia



I have been using NuNaturals Liquid Stevia now for the last couple of months and I must say, I really am hooked. It took several tries before I found a stevia that I could stand--some of them taste like nutrasweet to me--in other words, blech.  You Do Not want to use artificial sweeteners such as asparatame, but I'm sure my readers already know this!  (Skinny Bitch has a wonderful chapter on this subject, by the way and the history and dangers of Splenda).

The South American plant, stevia, which has been used for centuries, seems to be a healthier alternative.  After some experimenting I finally settled on the Trader Joes brand.  But after reading Natalia Rose's books and adopting her dietary regimen, I discovered NuNaturals stevia, her brand of choice.

What I love about this brand is it's mellowness.  It doesn't assault your taste buds, and there's no weird aftertaste.  I also love the glass bottle with dropper.  The liquid form is much easier for me to negotiate than the packets I had been using from TJs.

I use it to create salad dressing by mashing up an avocado, adding lemon, stevia, salt,pepper and onion salt.  It blends easily with no mess.  I also use it in my green juice when needed, if I get a particularly bitter batch I will add lots of lemon juice and a drop or two of stevia.  It's also great in chia porridge and smoothies.

If you haven't tried NuNaturals yet, or think you don't like stevia, I urge you to try it in this form.  They also make the packets for those who prefer powder, and another form that is used specifically for baking.  Find it HERE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to know that this brand gets your seal of approval- The last one I tried tasted absolutely terrible and bitter, worse than medicine! I'd much rather have unsweetened tea than that.

Eco Mama said...

Thanks Hannah!
xo
Eco Mama