Saturday, March 12, 2011

Three Great Tools for the Kitchen

There are three kitchen utensils I use all the time in the winter.  A colander to wash my veggies, a cutting board to chop them, and a small pan to flash-saute them for topping off my bean noodles or quinoa.  The whole thing takes less than 15 minutes and it's warming and nutritious.  Here are some great tools I've recently discovered. 

The ROSLE COLANDER: I f you eat veggies and other produce, colanders are a must have.  Perfect for those with small kitchens, the Rosle collapses flat for easy storage. They come in several uplifting colors to add unexpected design to your kitchen.  The quality is great and I have a feeling (though I haven't tried it yet) that it could double as a light steamer if your pot is tall enough.  Hint: Amazon sometimes has this available as part of their 4 for 3 promotions.

Cutting boards are something I use every single day.  I love these bamboo cutting boards by TruBamboo.  The silicone feet keep it steady and smooth on your counter top.  I love the light weight and modern look.   This company also makes dishwasher safe cutting boards (doesn't get easier than that), but I'm really sold on the feet and prefer this one.  Made of sustainable bamboo, their function friendly design makes veggie prep enjoyable.   They come in different sizes which is nice--if you are just chopping garlic you only need the small one.  After receiving my sample, I promptly went out and got the other sizes.  Really happy with them!

After you get your veggies ready, pop them into the GreenPan for a fast flash saute.  Normally I wouldn't go near a non-stick pan.  I've been using  cast iron and ceramic for years, but when my son started eating eggs (a temporary foray), I thought, there has to be something easier than this.  I'd heard about the nontoxic GreenPan with it's new Thermolon technology and was excited to try it out. 

I tried the 8" Rotterdam GreenPan and really like it.  Definitely makes the perfect omelet and it couldn't be easier.  The eggs slide right off.  It works great for a small portion of veggies--just the right amount for one or two people.  I love the silicone on the handle which makes the pan ultra fast and easy to use, no potholders necessary.  I've only been using it a few weeks so I don't have a long term opinion yet.  It seems to be very well made and I feel like as long as it's taken care of as directed it will last.  Really nice thing to have in the kitchen when you need it.

3 comments:

bitt said...

I'd love all three. Especially the colander.

Eco Mama said...

I have several colanders and I use them all--especially in the summer when my Farmers' Market finds are abundant.
xo
Eco Mama

Dirty Girl Gardening said...

ohh, love the colander.