Sunday, January 1, 2012

Holiday Excess? Try Coconut Water


Have you been indulging during the holidays?  Well who hasn't!?  Whether it's salty foods or alcohol, coconut water can help.  Coconut water is full of potassium and electrolytes and is perfect for dehydration.  Too much caffiene, cocktails and salty snacks can take a toll and this is a great natural way to soothe and repair.

Though you can't beat the taste right out of the coconut, some of us don't have access to fresh coconuts.  I'm leery of the Thai coconuts you find at the store as I've heard formaldehyde is sometimes used as a preservative.   There are several brands out so we have the luxury of coconut water without having to track down the whole coconut.  My favorite brand is ONE coconut water and they recently became certified organic.  I buy it by the case on Amazon using their subscribe and save program.   You can get it flavored with fruit juice, but I love it plain and find it deeply satisfying.  It's wonderful to have when kids are sick as it is so hydrating and a little goes a long way.  You can find it locally and online and I recommend keeping a liter or two on hand.